Sunday, January 5, 2014

Crumb on Others




Stumbled across this the other day and wound up spending an hour reading it. On Robert Crumb's official site there is a seven-part interview where he is asked his opinion on movers and shakers from politics, art, comic , music, you name it. He responds with his usual brutally honest contrarianism.

A few examples:

GARRY TRUDEAU "I never could get interested in that comic strip. What’s it called? I can’t remember the name of it. I could never read one of his strips to the end. Those sleepy-eyed characters, I just found the drawing style so annoying I couldn’t even read it."

PETE SEEGER "He's a saint. Pete Seeger's a fucking saint, but I never found his music very interesting."

MICHELANGELO "The guy is just like glorifying the male body. It's all about writhing, muscular male bodies. And even the women, they have male bodies with tits pasted on. The guy's not into women, you can tell. "

GRATEFUL DEAD "I never paid any attention to their music. As far as I was concerned it was a big nothin'. "

ANDY WARHOL "He had a clever little schtick, but highly overrated, as far as I’m concerned.

TRINA ROBBINS" Jesus what a pain in the ass she was. She hates my guts."